Little Beaver Historical Society Image Collection

Businesses



This collection contains images of a wide range of businesses and other commercial activities, such as brick manufacturing.

Image................................................................CaptionDateKeywordsSource Notes

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0001_C.W. Peffer Store
CAPTION:
C.W. Peffer in front of this store.
DATE:
Unknown
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
C. W. Peffer
SOURCE:
Location: LBHS Facebook page.
Original: Not documented.

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0002_C.W. Peffer Store
CAPTION:
C.W. Peffer inside store with Mary Jane McMinn, Post Master. Building used as post office through the 1960s.
DATE:
Unknown
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
C. W. Peffer
Mary Jane McMinn
post office
SOURCE:
Location: LBHS Facebook page.
Original: Not documented.

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0003_C.W. Peffer Store
CAPTION:
C.W. Peffer inside store with Mary Jane McMinn, Post Master. Building used as post office through the 1960s. Date: March 1909.
DATE:
1909
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
C. W. Peffer
post office
SOURCE:
Location: LBHS Facebook page.
Original: Not documented.

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0004_Darlington Hotel
CAPTION:
Darlington Hotel. Located at 702 Market Street. Destroyed by fire in 1925. Darlington Borough, Pa.
DATE:
1918
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
Darlington Hotel
SOURCE:
Location: LBHS Facebook page.
Original: Not documented.

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0005_Darlington Hotel
CAPTION:
Darlington Hotel. Located at 702 Market Street. Destroyed by fire in 1925. Darlington Borough, Pa.
DATE:
c. early 1900s
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
Darlington Hotel
SOURCE:
Location: LBHS Facebook page.
Original: Not documented.

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0006_Darlington Hotel
CAPTION:
Darlington Hotel. Located at 702 Market Street. Destroyed by fire in 1925. Darlington Borough, Pa.
DATE:
c. early 1900s
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
Darlington Hotel
SOURCE:
Image location: found on LBHS Facebook page.
Original: James Harbison, New Galilee, Pa. (active in late 1800s to early 1900s). Images collected by Bill Bitner.

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0007_Darlington Hotel
CAPTION:
Darlington Hotel. Located at 702 Market Street. Destroyed by fire in 1925. Darlington Borough, Pa.
DATE:
1903
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
Darlington Hotel
SOURCE:
Location: LBHS Facebook page.
Original: Not documented.

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0008_Darlington Hotel
CAPTION:
1916 Wilkinsburg Auto Club visits Darlington Hotel. Located at 702 Market Street. Destroyed by fire in 1925. Darlington Borough, Pa.
DATE:
1916
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
Darlington Hotel
automobiles
SOURCE:
Location: LBHS Facebook page.
Original: Not documented.

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0009_Darlington Hotel
CAPTION:
Owner Edwin Cole and friends. Darlington Hotel. Located at 702 Market Street. Destroyed by fire in 1925. Darlington Borough, Pa.
DATE:
1916
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
Darlington Hotel
automobiles
Edwin Cole
SOURCE:
Location: LBHS Facebook page.
Original: Not documented.

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0010_Old Shot Tower
CAPTION:
Home-industrial space built by Dr. Bernard c. 1820 for use in making silk and then used as a medical college. Later, owner George Youtes used it as a wagon factory until it collapsed on April 28, 1898. The “Old Shot Factory” features prominently in local ghost tales. “The Dustin mansion . . . was built by him. It is certainly quaint and unconventional enough, and on account of its extreme height for a dwelling-house, was dubbed by the people as the old “shot-tower.” It was also sometimes called the old “silk-mill,” as tradition makes the old physician to have been influenced by the craze for the cultivation of the moms multicaulis, or Chinese mulberry, and the production of silkworms and silk, which aroused so much interest in Beaver County in 1836. The old structure was last used by Mr. George Youtes as a wagon factory, and on April 28, 1898, it suddenly collapsed. Mr. Youtes narrowly escaped death by the fall of the building, as he had been sitting on the front door-step and had only arisen and walked away a moment before the collapse occurred.” (Joseph H. Bausman, History of Beaver County, Pennsylvania and Its Centennial Celebration, p. 812)
DATE:
Unknown
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
silk making
wagon making
medical college
SOURCE:
Location: Beaver County Landmarks and Research Foundation.
Original: BCL&RF.

View This Image
ACCESSION: LBHS-2022-B-0011_Old Shot Tower
CAPTION:
Home-industrial space built by Dr. Bernard c. 1820 for use in making silk and then used as a medical college. Later, owner George Youtes used it as a wagon factory until it collapsed on April 28, 1898. The “Old Shot Factory” features prominently in local ghost tales. “The Dustin mansion . . . was built by him. It is certainly quaint and unconventional enough, and on account of its extreme height for a dwelling-house, was dubbed by the people as the old “shot-tower.” It was also sometimes called the old “silk-mill,” as tradition makes the old physician to have been influenced by the craze for the cultivation of the moms multicaulis, or Chinese mulberry, and the production of silkworms and silk, which aroused so much interest in Beaver County in 1836. The old structure was last used by Mr. George Youtes as a wagon factory, and on April 28, 1898, it suddenly collapsed. Mr. Youtes narrowly escaped death by the fall of the building, as he had been sitting on the front door-step and had only arisen and walked away a moment before the collapse occurred.” (Joseph H. Bausman, History of Beaver County, Pennsylvania and Its Centennial Celebration, p. 812)
DATE:
Unknown
KEYWORDS:
business
Darlington Borough
silk making
wagon making
medical college
SOURCE:
Location: LBHS Facebook page.
Original: Not documented.

View More Photographs

DISCLAIMER: The media content appearing in this collection has been publicly and privately sourced.  Wherever possible, descriptions, dates, and sources have been identified.  We welcome suggestions for corrections and additional information about these images.  All images, except those in the public domain or identified as belonging to others, are owned by Little Beaver Historical Society and may only be reproduced with prior approval from Little Beaver Historical Society or used in a manner consistent with “fair use” allowances under current copyright laws  In all instances, proper attribution must be given to Little Beaver Historical Society for any images sourced from this collection, owned by, or in the legal care of Little Beaver Historical Society.  Little Beaver Historical Society strongly discourages the practice of watermarking or otherwise altering public domain content sourced from this collection.  ©Little Beaver Historical Society.  All rights reserved.